, , , ,

First of all, let me apologize for not blogging in so long. I think this has been the longest I’ve gone without blogging. I have been recovering and physically my recovery has been really great. I have surprised even myself with how well I have been doing. I have even returned to work – well sort of. Right now it is exam time so going to work consists mostly of sitting around, marking, and catching up with colleagues. If I had to return to full-blow teaching, well that I mentally couldn’t handle right now. My thinking is definitely slower than before and it takes me longer to process and respond to things – conversations can be overwhelming. Emotionally dealing with recovery is another issue – one I plan to blog about in the future. So that’s just a little recap . . . now for a fun brain surgery story : )

image 6Before the procedure I remember sitting down with my doctor to talk about the technicalities of the surgery. I wanted to know how things were going to happen, where they were going to happen, and what exactly was supposed to take place. I knew that 2 surgical clips needed to be placed in my brain around the aneurysm. That meant metal in my brain – so the questions arose, “Can I get MRIs, CTs, etc. in the future?” The doctor reassured me that yes I could.

BrainI then said, “Can I get MRIs, CTs, etc. because of the screws and plate on my skull?” My doctor smiled a little and chuckled as he said “What screws and plate?” Well, this didn’t amuse me – he was the doctor, surely you have to put my skull back together somehow! I then said, “Well if it’s not screws and plates, how does my skull bone get put back together??! I’m not a puzzle, the piece doesn’t just fit back in!” Again my doctor, always amused by my questions, said “Don’t worry, it’s my secret.” Hahaha that certainly wasn’t what I wanted to hear. So I said “Common, what do you use? Fairy dust or something?!” And again, with that smile on his face and a chuckle in his chest, he refused to give me an answer. So I left the consultation and a couple days later entered the operating room still not knowing how he was going to piece my brain back together!

photo 2See that smirk on my doctor’s face!? That’s the one I’m talking about. He was full of humor and nice surprises! The best neurosurgeon I could have had. Anyways, after the surgery the doctor finally told us what he had done. Apparently in order to open the piece of my skull, 3 holes needed to be drilled. Then a tool was used to connect the dots, if you will, and release that piece of bone. When putting that piece back on my skull, the doctor drills more holes that are smaller and uses surgical thread to put it back in place. He also puts a bone glue in the three larger holes to seal it all up again. Then, over the course of this year my bone will fully heal. After the surgery, my dear friend Jenna came to see how we were doing. She had a gift for me that I just cherish and always brings a smile to my face:

IMG_20140623_175440This quote really recaps my experience – All I needed was (1) faith – in God, that he would carry me through, (2) trust – in God and my doctors and all the staff at Neuro Spinal, and (3) Pixie Dust – that magical glue that is holding my skull together! This has certainly been an experience for me, to say the least, and I am still, even a month later, processing all of it, but it has shown me how important my faith is to me and that it’s okay to trust God. Plus a little Pixie Dust doesn’t hurt : )